INSIDE: How to make a nautical themed front door wreath using old denim jeans and ocean-themed wooden cutouts.
Why have I been saving the bottom half of some jeans I cut up to make denim shorts? These leg-less jeans have been hanging out in my sewing basket for the past couple of months. It was time to give them a purpose, or make them meet the garbage can.
I took these jean halves and combined them with one of my most favorite things – ocean decor – for an easy DIY denim, nautical-inspired front door wreath.
So if you find yourself making some summertime jean shorts, this is how you can get crafty with those now useless jean bottoms…
*This post contains affiliate links. A purchase of any of these items helps to support this blog and its creative efforts at no cost to you. To read more, please see my disclosure page.
diy denim ocean-themed wreath
Denim + cute nautical-themed wooden cutouts go together like Sand + Sea or Tacos + Tuesday.
nautical wreath diy decor
– Cut 3-4″ wide strips from the jeans.
Wrap each section around the styrofoam wreath and secure with a straight pin. Cover the entire wreath form.
– Use a 6″ jean section to create a bow shape. Hold together with some hot glue. Wrap a piece of grosgrain ribbon around the center of the bow.
Cut two additional strips of jeans for the bottom part of the bow. Secure to the wreath with straight pins. If desired, add some pieces of ribbon for further decoration.
Use glue to place the bow (from Step 2) on top.
Make a handful of denim rosettes. I explain how to make EASY flower rosettes here. Glue onto the wreath.
how to make a beach nautical wreath
With the rosettes in place, decide where you want to place the nautical-ocean wooden cutouts. Secure those to the wreath with some hot glue.
What items have you re-purposed and given new crafty life? Let me know in the comments.
Other Front Door Wreaths You May Enjoy:
- Use paper napkins to make a festive summertime wreath
- Paint mini terra cotta flower pots for a unique spring wreath
- Turn a plate charger into a fun welcome sign
- Paint chips from the hardware store into DIY beach art
- $5 outdoor movie blanket from bedsheet