INSIDE: Use mini cupcake liners to make a farmhouse-inspired Christmas tree garland. Easy, inexpensive Christmas home decorating.
Oh, the stresses of the holidays! For the past couple holiday seasons, our pre-light artificial tree has become less sparkly and bright. I don’t know what’s more shocking to you: that we are a fake tree family or that this same faux fir had unreliable, blotchy light patches!
So when we made the splurge on a new Christmas tree, out to the curb also went the hand-me-down tree garland I grew up with. Since I balked at purchasing a (read: expensive) store-bought garland, I made this $3 Christmas tree garland instead…
*This post contains affiliate links. A purchase of any of these items helps to support this blog and its creative efforts at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To read more, please see my disclosure page.
How To Make a Tree Garland From Mini Cupcake Liners
My craft M.O. is to make it for less and to do it quickly. However… If you’re like me that you have kids running around, wet clothes to pull out of the washing machine and school pick-ups to rush off to, this super easy project may wind up taking you all day!
But it looks cute and fun at the end and that’s what matters, right?!
Distractions aside, gather your supplies:
– Mini cupcake liners (I found mine at the Dollar Store. If you can’t find any, check these out)
– Cardstock, or any sturdy paper
– Fishing Wire
– Craft Glue (this is my fave tacky glue)
– Craft Scissors (get three different scissor sizes in this pack)
how to make a cheap christmas tree garland
Grab some cardstock or any sturdy paper. You want something with some heft to hold down your fishing wire.
how to string the cupcake liners Christmas tree garland
Make a loop at one end of the fishing wire.
Continue in this manner until you reach your desired length. I made garland chains that consisted of 30 cupcake liners. Our Christmas tree is 7.5′ in height. I made a total of 10 chains to drape around our tree.
This amounted to 300 mini cupcake liners. I clearly overestimated the # of liners so I would need so there will be lots of yummy baking this holiday season!
Other DIY Holiday Ideas You May Like:
- Easy sew modern holiday pillow cover
- Holiday tin can vase using personal photos
- Turn a plate charger into a chalkboard for a “Merry Welcome” to guests
- Ugly Christmas sweater turned comfy, cozy ugly Christmas skirt
- 5-minute Christmas cookie plate using paper doilies