INSIDE: How to sew an easy lumbar pillow from an old long sleeve t-shirt. Re-purpose clothing into DIY home decor.
Sometimes a t-shirt is better off as a …pillow? When you like a t-shirt too much to get rid of it but you don’t want to wear it anymore, or you find something cool and groovy at a thrift store, give it a new purpose. Like support for your back.
And that became the fate of this cute graphic “beach” long sleeve t-shirt.
Here’s how to turn any cotton t-shirt into a fun pillow. It’s sew easy!
*This post contains affiliate links. A purchase of any of these items helps to support this blog and its creative efforts at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To read more, please see my disclosure page.
How to Make Sew Easy Lumbar Pillow from Old T-Shirt
Are you a t-shirt wearer? I’m not such a big fan. Maybe it’s because I live in the sweltering Arizona desert but give me a tank top any day of the week!
how to make a lumbar envelope pillow from an old t-shirt
Lay the t-shirt out flat. If the shirt has a graphic design you intend to use, figure out which parts you will use before you cut!
The lumbar pillow insert I had measured 10×20″. You will want to add at least 1″ seam allowance on each side. Use the measuring tape to determine where you will cut.
Based on the size of the pillow insert* I was using, I cut three pieces of fabric from the t-shirt:
- 10×20″ piece (+ 1″ seam allowance on each side) — this is the front of the pillow
- 10 x 14″ piece (+ 1″ seam allowance on each side) — this is the back of the pillow
- 10 x 8″ piece (+ 1″ seam allowance on each side) — this is also the back of the pillow
*Adjust these measurements based on the dimensions of the lumbar pillow insert you are using.
how to sew an envelope pillow cover
Pin the two back pieces of the pillow to each end of the front piece. Make sure the right sides are together.
Sew the sides together.
On pieces #2 and 3, fold over a 1/2″ hem on the non-sewn sides. Sew.
Pin the perimeter of the three pieces together. Sew.
Once sewn, turn the pillow cover inside out.
how to quickly turn a long sleeve t-shirt into a pillow
If desired, add some decorative tassels or pom poms.
What have you re-purposed and refashioned lately?
Other Upcycled DIY Ideas You May Like:
- Turn a metal plate charger into a DIY chalkboard sign with fabric flowers
- Upcycle a staircase banister into a gallery photo wall
- Upcycle a larger dresser mirror frame into large-scale wall art
- $20 Craigslist mid-century modern coffee table makeover
- $10 vintage suitcase turned into a wall photo display
- Vintage wooden ruler as frame for a message board
- Brass firewood holder made modern magazine rack
More Thrift Store Ideas!
I teamed up with some crafty friends to bring you fun thrift store ideas. Check them out below in our monthly thrift store challenge!
- Upcycle an item(s) from a thrift store, resale store, or garage sale into a new piece of decor.
- There’s no monthly theme.
- There’s no budget to stick to.
Meet the Hosts
Pili | My Sweet Things – Jennifer | Cookies Coffee and Crafts
Maureen | Red Cottage Chronicles – Victoria | Dazzle While Frazzled
Deborah – Salvage Sister and Mister – Marie | The Inspiration Vault
Debra | Shoppe No. 5
Habiba | Craftify My Love – Michelle | Our Crafty Mom
Check out what my fellow upcyclers created below!