INSIDE: How to create a Mother’s Day tin can photo vase for a thrifty gift for mom or grandma.
There are many great things about having kids (of course, right?) but in my few years of being a parent, I’ve noticed that if you stick the kids photo on something, you have an immediate, easy gift for grandma that is well-loved.
So as Mother’s Day approaches, I find myself wondering what photo creation of my trio of kids can I wrap up, stick a bow on and gift this Mom’s Day.
See how I created a handmade – and thrfity – gift for Mom and Grandma this Mother’s Day…
*This post contains affiliate links. A purchase of any of these items helps to support this blog and its creative efforts at no cost to you. To read more, please see my disclosure page.
Mother’s Day Tin Can Photo Vase
There’s nothing like making your own gift for (Grand)Mother’s Day, especially one with the (grand)kids photos all over it. The only time-consuming part of this crafty DIY is narrowing down the cutest photos of the kids to print!
– Tin Can (I used a 28oz can), cleaned and label removed
– Photos (color or black and white) printed on premium photo paper
– Mod Podge
– Clear Acrylic Sealer (spray)
– Ribbon or trim (do you love pom pom trim as much as I do?)
– Glue gun
diy tin can photo vase in 5 steps
Make a Mom’s Day gift in five easy steps!
Step No. 1
Measure the dimensions of your tin can and print photos to fit to size. I printed a combination of large photos as well as some smaller photo strip-like photos to fill in any gaps.
Step No. 2
Cut out and position your photos onto the tin can. I rolled a little tape under the photos to keep them in place while I figured out a layout I was happy with. Trim off any excess around the can.
Step No. 3
With the photos in place, apply the Mod Podge under the corners of the photos and at the seams.
Step No. 4
Once dry, give it a spray with the clear acrylic sealer.
Step No. 5
Apply some ribbon or trim with your glue gun.
Fill with flowers (best to insert a secondary vase inside the tin can) or use as a gift basket full of (grand)ma’s favorite things.
What are your mom or grandma’s favorite things for Mother’s Day?
More Mother’s Day projects:
- DIY melted bead bowl gift basket for mom or friend
- Personalize a blank coffee travel mug for mom
- Make your own custom candles using ribbon and an iron
- Turn a mirrored tray into a frame for an old photograph
- Gift ideas to give the tired and frazzled mom
More tin can projects:
- Turn a large tin can into a holiday photo vase
- DIY Halloween tin can treat holders
- Back-to-school teacher gifts using tin cans
- DIY cute fairy garden houses from tin cans