INSIDE: How to build an easy outdoor patio side table using a metal umbrella stand. Nautical stripe DIY furniture side table for home decor.
No idea why but we have three umbrella stands and one patio umbrella. Did we lose an umbrella in a house move? Did someone “gift” us a heavier-than-heck metal base and forget its umbrella companion? No clue!
But here we sit outdoors among the warm sun, the green grass and flowering pots…and three metal (and dare I say, rusting) umbrella stands dotting the landscape. It was time to get crafty or call in for a donation pick-up. Guess which option I roped my husband into?
This is how we turned a rusted umbrella stand into a unique and practical outdoors patio side table…
*This post contains affiliate links. A purchase of any of these items helps to support this blog and its creative efforts at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To read more, please see my disclosure page.
How to Make Patio Side Table from Old Umbrella Stand
– Metal patio umbrella stand (Don’t have one? This is similar to what I used.)
– Wooden circle table top
– Galvanized pipe floor flange fitting (must fit dimensions of umbrella stand)
– Galvanized pipe bushing fitting
– Galvanized pipe section (must fit dimensions of umbrella stand)
– Bonding glue material
– Spray paint (for base)
– Paint and/or stain (for table top)
– Polyurethane spray
how to re-purpose an umbrella stand into a patio table
Insert pipe fitting section into umbrella base stand. Use a rubber mallet to ensure tight fit.
Screw pipe section into pipe floor flange fitting.
On top of pipe section, insert pipe bushing fitting.
With the side table base built, give it a coat of spray paint. Once dry, give the base a coat of polyurethane spray.
how to build a patio table top
To create the striped table top, tape off sections of the wooden top with painters tape.
Determine which sections you want to paint which colors. Truthfully, I went with colors we already had stored away in the garage.
And that’s how one section was stained gray and another section was painted teal.
With the paint now dry on the table top, give that a coat (or two) of polyurethane spray.
Use a bonding glue to secure the wooden table top to the base.
Pour yourself your favorite refreshing beverage…while you decide what to use the one remaining patio umbrella stand for!
Other Upcycled DIY Ideas You May Like:
- Turn a metal plate charger into a DIY chalkboard sign with fabric flowers
- Upcycle a staircase banister into a gallery photo wall
- Upcycle a larger dresser mirror frame into large-scale wall art
- $20 Craigslist mid-century modern coffee table makeover
- $10 vintage suitcase turned into a wall photo display
- Vintage wooden ruler as frame for a message board
- Brass firewood holder made modern magazine rack