Every year, when I haul out those holiday decor boxes, it’s literally like Christmas morning. It’s as though I pack away all things red, green and white when the holidays are over, and then completely forget about what I have for a year. (That or I’m just quickly approaching the forgetful age!)
As I pull paper-wrapped goodies out that survived a year crammed in a bin in the garage, the one thing I didn’t have in these too many holiday boxes were any Christmas pillow covers for the couch.
Here’s how I quickly sewed up a DIY Christmas pillow covers using fabric remnants. Check out the easy DIY pillow pattern…
diy christmas pillow cover
There are many ideas for making Christmas pillow covers out there. But the best thing about this DIY Christmas pillow is that you can select the festive holiday colors you enjoy best or those that coordinate with your home decor.
– Fabric in holiday colors and patterns (Have you visited Fabric.com yet? They have great selections and prices.)
– Sewing machine (Don’t have a sewing machine? Here’s a great starter machine if learning to sew is a New Year’s resolution!)
– Sewing scissors + measuring tape
– Straight pins (How cute are these pins? They would make even the most boring sewing project more fun!)
– Pillow insert (many sizes to fit your needs here)
Since I was using up fabric scraps, I pieced together two pieces of fabric to create a piece to fit a 19×19″ pillow insert. I pinned these two pieces together and sewed them.
I used a third contrasting strip of fabric to create a simple ruffle to cover the seam from Step #1.
I pinned it on and sewed a simple seam down its center.
With the front of the pillow complete, time to create the backside using the envelope pillow technique. See how I did so in this tutorial. This is my favorite way to sew pillow covers!
Insert the pillow form. Fluff up for instant holiday decor and a fun pop of color. In less than an hour, you can create your own DIY Christmas pillow cover!
How do you decorate for the holidays?