INSIDE: How to use faux fur fabric to make a DIY winter dress wrap with fleece lining. Easy sew shrug tutorial.
For the past several years, my husband and I attend a formal holiday party, which is usually the one time of year we get all gussied up, leave our pint-sized trio at home and head out for a kid-free night. And given that we live in Arizona – in December – you never know if you’ll still be flipping around in sandals or will need to pull out “winter clothes” (which is probably what most of the country wears in September!).
For this year’s holiday party, we were actually having a wee bit of a “cold front”. For us, that’s weather in the 60s! Wanting something a little more hefty than a pashmina, I created a super warm and comfy DIY faux fur wrap lined with fleece. It’s sew easy! Learn how I made this…
*This post contains affiliate links. A purchase of any of these items helps to support this blog and its creative efforts at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. To read more, please see my disclosure page.
How To Make a Faux Fur Wrap with Fleece-Lining
As someone who grew up in the Great White North (aka: Canada), I’ve become a cold weather wimp these past dozen years living in the Southwest. I used to spend all day building forts in the snow, and now I get all bundled up should the house temps dip into the low 70s. I’m clearly sun-spoiled!
– 0.375 yard of faux fur fabric
– 0.375 yard polar fleece (I used black anti-pill fleece fabric)
– Straight pins + thread to match the color of the faux fur
– Sewing scissors (Great scissors for both sewing and crafting)
– Sewing machine (Great name in sewing machines and for under $100)
– Vintage frog closure button (These are so neat and come in many colors and styles)
how to sew an easy winter faux fur shrug
Lay the faux fur right side up.
Pin the fleece to the two short sides and one long side. Sew these three sides together.
Turn the piece right side out. Lay down with fleece side up.
Fold the raw edge of the faux fur onto the fleece. Pin and sew.
This next step is best done in front of a mirror.
Wrap the faux fur shawl around your shoulders and determine where you want it to join. Place a pin at this area on both sides of the faux fur wrap.
Stitch the frog closure where you have a pin.
Wrap the faux fur shawl around your shoulders for a warm and comfy night out on the town!
How do you get gussied up for cool yet dressy evenings?
Other DIY Ideas You May Like:
- Upcycle a sweater into a cozy winter wreath
- Turn a metal plate charger into a chalkboard wreath sign
- Use a hard cover photo book as a frame
- Turn grandma’s antique napkins into a no sew table runner
- Customize plain taper candles with ribbon and your iron